Worst case scenario on the highway

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puppyPapa

Reaction score
Need some advice from my fellow i5ers! Just diagnosed a bad E52 relay which seems to be part of the whole shift by wire system. Created a kill switch to test it (I'm safe!) and it basically cuts power to the car when flipped off. Here's my question: if the E52 dies while driving (like at 60mph on the highway!), what's the worst that could happen? I'm guessing the car would coast to a stop, but the diagrams are confusing. Anyone else have experience with a bad E52? Planning to test the kill switch at low speeds first, but curious to hear your thoughts!

The best way is to test it. Find a large, empty parking lot, definitely not the highway. Then update us after. Keep safe!

Need some advice from my fellow i5ers! Just diagnosed a bad E52 relay which seems to be part of the whole shift by wire system. Created a kill switch to test it (I'm safe!) and it basically cuts power to the car when flipped off. Here's my question: if the E52 dies while driving (like at 60mph on the highway!), what's the worst that could happen? I'm guessing the car would coast to a stop, but the diagrams are confusing. Anyone else have experience with a bad E52? Planning to test the kill switch at low speeds first, but curious to hear your thoughts!
well its either you try it out to get a first-hand experience or ask your local dealership for this question. I don't think anything bad will happen because of the safety features that they place in the vehicle. but well, experience is a great teacher as they say. goodluck

Join the IONIQ Community

Support, tutorials, and a friendly community

Back