Weird Revving Noise & Reverse Delay in My Ioniq Hybrid

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mel_Key_30

Reaction score
I’ve got a 2018 Ioniq hybrid with around 50,000 miles, and it’s been an awesome car so far. I’m due for a service soon, but something odd started happening last week that’s got me a little concerned.

From a stop, when I pick up speed, everything seems good until I hit about 10 mph. The car then produces an odd noise, almost as if it is trying to change gears but in a rough, noisy manner (not sure of the technical term for it). It returns to running normally once I reach about 25 to 30 mph.

I’ve also noticed a slight delay when shifting into reverse, but there are no warning lights on the dashboard, which makes me wonder if it’s something minor or if it’s a bigger issue.

I tried calling my local Hyundai garages, but they’re fully booked for the next month, and I’d rather not wait that long if it could be something simple. Anyone experienced something like this? Could it be a transmission issue or something related to the hybrid system?

I encountered a similar issue a few months ago when I initiated a charge using Bluelink and then stopped it by disconnecting the charger. I tried various solutions until I finally resolved the problem by plugging the car back in, restarting the charge through Bluelink, and stopping it from the app. Others have suggested disconnecting the 12V battery to reset the ECU, but I did not try that method.

Join the IONIQ Community

Support, tutorials, and a friendly community

Back