Should these warning lights be a concern?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conner

Reaction score
A friend is looking to buy a 2020 Ioniq electric from a non-Hyundai dealer. He has asked lots of questions, and even gotten photos and video and he seems assured that it is a good deal, but when I spoke to the salesman, I could tell he doesn’t know so much about EVs.

While we were going through some photos, a picture of the dashboard caught my attention. I saw a battery light icon and a car icon in color yellow at the left. We checked it up and found that this could indicate a problem with the 12 volt battery.

We are not so sure what the yellow car icon on the left is, we are still checking for more info. He initially planned on getting the car on Monday, but it is definitely not too late to bail on the deal. Can anyone advice us on what to do?

Just stop his rush... the car won't go anywhere. Help him investigate further. The yellow battery definitely indicates a problem. Go with better safe than sorry. 🙄

A friend is looking to buy a 2020 Ioniq electric from a non-Hyundai dealer. He has asked lots of questions, and even gotten photos and video and he seems assured that it is a good deal, but when I spoke to the salesman, I could tell he doesn’t know so much about EVs.

While we were going through some photos, a picture of the dashboard caught my attention. I saw a battery light icon and a car icon in color yellow at the left. We checked it up and found that this could indicate a problem with the 12 volt battery.

We are not so sure what the yellow car icon on the left is, we are still checking for more info. He initially planned on getting the car on Monday, but it is definitely not too late to bail on the deal. Can anyone advice us on what to do?
No way. Tell him to reconsider his decision. The yellow battery light is a clear sign there are issues with the 12V battery or even with the whole battery management system. Go for a full diagnostic check. If the owner refuses it, then you have the answer. No need to go for something that requires significant repairs. Unless you have a few $ extra...when I say a few, I mean some thousands.

I don't think that's a problem with the 12V. I'd go have it checked by a Hyundai dealer if I were you to confirm what those warning lights are. It's also possible that the ignition switch is turned on but the engine is turned off, triggering the warning lights as it would in any other car.

Join the IONIQ Community

Support, tutorials, and a friendly community

Back