Ioniq hybrid

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cianne1

Reaction score
I'm considering buying an Ioniq, but I'm not sure whether I should get the regular hybrid or the plug-in hybrid. I'm wondering if I can charge the plug-in hybrid battery fully and use it like a regular hybrid. Every day, I drive between 100 and 150 miles in the city. Can I keep the battery charged to conserve gas? Would a plug-in hybrid be preferable? Can I drive it in hybrid mode and use the battery to make it go further? Will it only use the battery and then switch to gas?

I already have a home charger and an EV, but hybrids seem to be a better option for me.

Yes, you can juice up that plug-in hybrid battery and roll with it like a regular hybrid. For your daily 100-150 miles, a plug in hybrid is a solid choice IMO since it lets you cruise on electric power for longer trips, conserving gas. It’ll switch to hybrid mode when needed, using both battery and gas, and if the battery dips low, it’ll just kick into gas mode. Keep charging it up as well, and you'll get the max efficiency and cut down on fuel costs!

If I were you, I will choose Plug in hybrid. Why? Because of that extra flexibility down the road, even if it might hit the wallet harder if the battery needs a swap or repairs. But seriously, I gotta check out the trade-offs with that beefier battery as well, like, is there even room for a spare tire, or am I gonna be squishing stuff in? Things like that. But tbh, I’m also a bit fuzzy on the differences between the Ioniq models, so you need to dive more on that too.

I'm considering buying an Ioniq, but I'm not sure whether I should get the regular hybrid or the plug-in hybrid. I'm wondering if I can charge the plug-in hybrid battery fully and use it like a regular hybrid. Every day, I drive between 100 and 150 miles in the city. Can I keep the battery charged to conserve gas? Would a plug-in hybrid be preferable? Can I drive it in hybrid mode and use the battery to make it go further? Will it only use the battery and then switch to gas?

I already have a home charger and an EV, but hybrids seem to be a better option for me.
I've owned both, and I've noticed that the PHEV behaves similarly to the HEV once the battery level drops below 15%. However, the PHEV offers a 30-mile electric-only range before transitioning to hybrid mode. Fuel economy is basically the same. The main drawback of the PHEV is a smaller cargo space.

Join the IONIQ Community

Support, tutorials, and a friendly community

Back