Ham Radio in a Hyundai IONIQ 5?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calisto223

Reaction score
I'm a new Hyundai IONIQ 5 SE owner and I'm putting together a talk next month on operating ham from the car, and gotta say, I'm impressed with how quiet this EV is on the RF side of things! Found some minor noise around 3MHz and 30MHz, but that's it - a far cry from some power supplies I've seen. Even DC fast charging seems pretty clean.

I have a few questions:
What might be causing those specific noise bands (3MHz & 30MHz)?
Is the traction motor a 3-phase AC motor (and how would that impact noise?)
Any idea on switching frequencies in the charging circuitry?
The lack of noise overall suggests great EMC design by Hyundai. Any info, measurements, or "under the hood" insights you can share would be fantastic! Thanks in advance!

I've been looking into this interference issues as well, and it seems like it's mainly caused by the inverter and motors when the car is running. The air conditioning compressor can also contribute if it's using a micro-inverter. Depending on the power output of your setup, this interference might affect your onboard electronics.

I've got a fully electric, and I'm really happy with it. The noise floor is way lower than my old gas guzzler.

Have you written anything about your antenna install? I went with the Torklift Ecohitch and added some star washers for better grounding. It's a great spot for an HF antenna, but I'm thinking about adding something on top too.

Join the IONIQ Community

Support, tutorials, and a friendly community

Back