Disappointed with Ioniq 5 Regen Options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SonoftheSun

Reaction score
I'm having a one-pedal dilemma. For those of us who crave the pure one-pedal experience, it's crazy that i-pedal locks us into AWD mode all the time. While it can switch between front and rear wheels when accelerating, it can't handle regen all the way to a stop without i-pedal engaged? It's a missed opportunity! The Chevy Bolt nails this - one-pedal all the way without ever needing the brake (except emergencies). Hyundai could've offered a middle ground. Maybe a Level 4 regen that keeps regen engaged to a stop without forcing AWD? They already have levels 0-3 and auto-regen, so why not add another option (or fold it into Level 3)?

Been playing around with the regen settings, and I figured out that holding the right paddle puts the car into Auto regen mode. It'll keep regening until you hit the brakes, and I think it also turns on adaptive cruise control. Holding the left paddle gives you full regen, which can be a bit aggressive. As for AWD, I haven't noticed any significant downsides. It's great for any weather conditions, and you won't even need to worry about it on long trips with cruise control.

Join the IONIQ Community

Support, tutorials, and a friendly community

Back