Ioniq 5 damaged Battery when it got hit by debris

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Young

Reaction score
Ioniq 5 owners in rough-road areas, you have to know this! Hitting debris on the highway turned into a scary situation with my car. A rock tore a hole in the black FRP undercarriage, puncturing the cooling plate and leaking coolant. The dealer initially wanted to replace the entire battery pack, but luckily they ended up repairing it. Here's the surprising part, the battery itself seems very resilient. Despite the punctured cooling plate, only four modules were dented and needed replacing. Even with a ripped pouch from the impact, there were no leaks! This makes me question the strength of the stock skid plate – it seems like it buckled under the weight of the car. The repair process was pretty intense – they had to replace the entire lower battery case, including the cooling plate and its frame, and re-apply a special thermal interface material throughout. This whole experience makes me think some aftermarket battery protection might be a good idea for Ioniq 5 owners who drive on rough roads – skid plates or deflectors could be a lifesaver. Anyone else out there deal with debris damaging their Ioniq 5 battery?

Ouch!!! I believe the battery pack has sufficient protection. Accidents involving large debris are unpredictable, and there's no foolproof solution.
Upgrading to a vehicle with higher ground clearance might be a better option for your specific needs. If you frequently encounter large objects on the road, your current vehicle may struggle to remain intact.

In cases of damage like this, the warranty typically wouldn't cover repairs. However, your insurance might depending on your policy.

Join the IONIQ Community

Support, tutorials, and a friendly community

Back